Goldscheider of Vienna now has a greater prominence at WMODA museum thanks to the generosity of Arthur Wiener and other keen collectors. The Goldscheider family first became involved in the ceramics business in the 1870s. One of their ancestors was the foremost gold refiner and alchemist in Prague during the 16th century so perhaps it is apt that the family became involved in the porcelain industry, which was pioneered in Europe by alchemists.
Friedrich Goldscheider moved to Vienna in 1878 where he opened a porcelain shop and later a factory. By 1885 it was known as the Goldscheider Porcelain Manufacturer and Majolica Factory. Friedrich’s motto was “Standing still is the beginning of the end,” and he quickly established a reputation for his artistic terracotta sculptures at the trade fairs and exhibitions of Europe. At the Paris Universal Exposition in 1889, Friedrich won a gold medal and more first class awards followed in Edinburgh 1890, Trieste 1891 and Dresden, where he launched his patented process for patinated bronzed terracotta. This process gave clay the appearance of bronze which was considered a more “noble material”.